Madrid 2: Revenge of the Spanish Schedule

You’re still in Spain?

Yup. I have renewed to teach in the same primary school for a second year. This summer I spent two months in the Pacific Northwest visiting family and friends, hiking, camping, cycling and not swimming at the Oregon Coast. I plan to blog about this lovely summer soon.

Who are you teaching this year?

I continue to work with the fifth and sixth graders at CEIP Garcilaso de la Vega. I love, love, love my position and I’m thrilled to continue preparing the students for the Cambridge speaking exam at the end of sixth grade.

The biggest change in my work can be seen in my private classes. Last year I taught mostly adults. I had weekly chats with an air traffic controller, a nurse, a cardiologist, two recently-graduated economics students, and an engineering student. The lessons lasted well into the evening, as late as 9:30. Spaniards typically arrive home from work at 7pm, so they can’t meet before then. School children, on the other hand, finish school and activities anywhere from 4:30-6pm. In the interest of having a social life (maybe I’ll even take a yoga class!) I have filled my after-school hours with 11 and 12-year old students. This requires less preparation, as they have similar language levels, interests, and needs, and I finish no later than 7:00.

Are you living in the same piso?

This year I moved to a new neighborhood, Arturo Soria, which is a bit farther from the school. My plan is to ride my bike 15 minutes or, in case of rain or extreme cold, ride the bus 20 minutes to work. This fall has been disappointingly rainy in Madrid so far, so my bike is chained up rusting while I sit on the bus. Here are pictures of the apartment I share with my novio Julio, my bike, and his car.







So now you’re an expert, right?

Even as I begin my second year in Madrid, I’m still having culture-shock moments that are largely based on the Spanish schedule (think late). Just yesterday afternoon Julio messaged me: “I think we need to prepare something for dinner to bring to the movies, because it starts at 9pm and we won’t get out until midnight.” Okay, two things are wrong with this statement. First of all, who brings dinner to the movie theater?! And secondly, we have all the hours between 6:00 and 9:00 to make and eat dinner at home. Why wait?! The answer to the first question is simple. The Spanish cinema employees are not food police. They really don’t care if you bring an entire meal, drinks and all, and wave it right under their noses. (No need to smuggle candy under your big coat.) As for the second question, I’m lucky that Julio is open-minded and sometimes willing to follow a more North American schedule. We made eggplant parmesan and ate it hot from the oven at 8:00. :)

Who do you hang out with?

Sadly, many of my friends from the program did not renew this year, so I am reaching out to meet new buddies. Last weekend I did another Hiking in Madrid and met several interesting people, including a Venezuelan who is completing her masters in wine-making. About eight of us created a WhatsApp group called Menú del Día and we plan to get together to eat out once a week. We already met last Sunday for brunch at an Australian cafe. Chai tea lattes (very rare in Spain), reubens, fried eggs and spinach. Mmmmm...




After brunch, Julio and I took a train to the medieval festival in nearby Alcala de Henares, where author of Don Quixote, Cervantes, lived.




Are you actually going to blog this year?

We'll see! I get very busy teaching and preparing 7 private classes in addition to my work at the primary school each week. My amazing friend Keridwyn suggested that I write shorter entries more frequently...ánimo, Molly! 

Comments

  1. Love to learn about your life in Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly....Great to hear about your adventures and see your photos. I understand how busy you are. Will love hearing updates as you have time. Take a yoga class and tell us all about it! Donna Raforth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! Actually, I didn't write about it but the hike I went on last weekend included 30-minute yoga lesson at the lunch break before eating. The teacher is from Sweden but she taught the lesson in Spanish...impressive! I have done enough yoga classes on VME (Spanish public TV) that I was able to follow easily. The only downside was that the ground wasn't exactly even and made some postures a bit tricky. But a beautiful setting!

      Delete
  3. wow -- I am WAY too old for the Spanish schedule! Do people really take siestas to make up for it? also -- who watches the Spanish kids between 4:30 and 7 PM? Are there afterschool programs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially on the weekends, the people I know do actually take a siesta after lunch - around 4pm. It can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours if they don't set an alarm! Then they have energy to stay up late. To me it really doesn't make sense to trade the early evening for the middle of the night...sigh. Also, it's interesting how they eat a snack around 6 or 7pm to be able to hold out for dinner at 10pm.

      Delete
    2. As for the kids, they do have after-school programs that last until 5 or 5:30. After that, usually a grandparent comes to walk the kids home. The wealthier families have nannies/housekeepers that open the door for me when I arrive to give private lessons. So the kids are kept busy with tutors, nannies or grandparents, generally. Their lives are so structured - kids are typicall in school/programs from 9 in the morning until 7 at night. (With plenty of recess breaks, of course)

      Delete

Post a Comment