Que aproveche! Jamón, tapas y bocadillos

And now to elaborate on the most important part of life anywhere: the food. I've jotted down a few notes about the local cuisine below.

El jamón

My friend Manuel, who I met hiking, invited me to attend a feria de jamon in Plaza Mayor in October. Manuel is from a small village in Andalucia which is famous for the jamón iberico de bellota, which is a special kind of dried Iberian ham (prosciutto) made from black-hooved pigs who have been raised on acorns. At the fair, he was a great guide and introduced me to his cousin, his neighbor, and his brother, all who were carving/serving Iberian ham at the event.


Note the black hoof

In the foreground you see a picture of the countryside with an oak tree (una encina) where the pigs are raised

"Que buena pinta" - Manuel

Manuel, from Villanueva de Córdoba

El mercado de San Miguel

After the ham fair, I went to the mercado de San Miguel next to Plaza Mayor. It's a beautiful indoor market (covered with a ceiling of glass) with more than 30 high-end vendors of fresh produce, gourmet foods, wine by the glass, tapas, and full meals. It's a feast for all the senses...

Originally built in 1916 and renovated in the 21st century, the market has a very modern feel.

Yum! How to choose...

Cheese!!

Fancy and over-priced coffee. I prefer the normal Spanish style, much simpler.

El Rastro

"Europe's biggest flea market, filled with bargains and pickpockets." - Rick Steves

I enjoyed the Rastro market on a Sunday in October, shopping for tights, a belt, a blouse, and some pants. I also stopped in to buy some food when I saw that a small shop was mobbed by the locals.

I bought tights at this stall for 2 euros. The woman shopping beside me assured me that they were of good quality, and that you could put them through the washing machine over and over again, and they hold up great.

Todo el mundo stopped here for a mid-shopping snack. I followed the crowds inside and ordered...

Salmon with white asparagus and octopus! It was too early in the morning for the octopus, so I offered it to a hungry-looking man in line. He happily accepted. :)

Parque el Capricho

On a sunny Saturday in early November, I went to another park in my neighborhood. Parque el Capricho is only open on weekends because it is owned by a private family, who enjoy the park for themselves during the week.


I found my last name on a sign in the park! This sign describes the ruins of a small fort (fortin) that used to be here.


All this walking around is accomplished in the sneakers my colleague, Yanalte, designed for me. She paints shoes. Here she has painted Dori from Finding Nemo. "Just keep swimming!"

I love that American series are so popular in Spain, including The Walking Dead.

Tapapies

The barrio of Lavapies is one of my favorites in Madrid. It is the most culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhood in the city, bursting with fun shops and restaurants. They held an event during October called "tapapies." Many restaurants and bars participated in the promotion, which typically featured a small beer (una canya) and a tapa for 2 euros. 

Caprese

With my colleague Laura

Comments

  1. The whole blog makes me hungry!! Nice photos, great to see what you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Molly,
    What an extraordinary year you are having! I love the photos that accompany your blog. Really helps me live vicariously through you. Am starving after reading about your amazing food experiences. Good thing Wayne is making dinner tonight: filet mignon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful markets! Way fancier than I remember experiencing in Chile, kinda makes me think of Boston. I agree, the blog makes me hungry too! Except not the octopus part. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment